In this section you will find information on actions required in case of health emergency
Medical Emergency while at IHU Premises
- Stay calm and shout for help or call staff at the school office or call security at front desk.
- Call an ambulance (ekab166) or the thermi health centre : 2310472925/472372
- Make sure the paramedics know where the ambulance has to come and give some details about the person who is injured or ill.
- If you do not know how to give first-aid treatment, do not touch the victim
- Follow any instructions the paramedics give you.
- In case of a light injury make use of the first-aid kit located in the building main entrance next to the photocopy machine.
Thermi health centre: 2310472925 or 472372
Medical Emergency outside IHU Premises
- Accidents, serious or life threatening conditions: You should consider calling an ambulance (166) and follow instructions as above.
- If you are just not feeling well and you think you need to see a doctor or visit a hospital right away, you should:
- Call 14944 (Greek only) or 11888 or 11850 or 11880 (English and Greek) from local or mobile phone to find out which hospital is currently on-duty for your medical situation. You could also call 166 (ambulance service) if you need additional medical advice for your situation (in Greek & most probably English too). Then, go to the hospital's EMERGENCY (EPEIGONTA) or OUTPATIENTS Department (EXOTERIKA IATREIA).
- You may also consider calling a private doctor on duty (if outside usual office hours) for that day. You will have to pay an extra charge for a visit at home. A list of these doctors is also given on 14944 (Greek only) or at http://www.isth.gr/?efimerires (also Greek only).
- In case of 1 or 2 above, If your situation requires further hospitalisation, PLEASE INFORM THE SCHOOL OFFICE at the earliest possible convenience at 2310 807523 or 2310 807500 during working hours (08:00 - 15:00).
It is usually obvious when emergency care is needed for serious injury or illness. An emergency is a critical or life-threatening situation such as: Loss of consciousness, sever loss of blood, suspected broken bones, persistent chest pain for 15 minutes or more, difficulty breathing, overdose, ingestion of toxic substance or poisoning.
If you are helping somebody in such a situation remember to keep calm, do everything you can to help the person, but don't put yourself in danger and don't give the person anything to eat, drink or smoke.
Unless you need urgent medical attention try to avoid local hospital emergency departments. Doctors and nurses there are equipped to deal with more serious cases of injury and illness, not routine and minor ailments.
Medical Treatment Generally
If you want to receive treatment for a regular or non-urgent health problem, you have the following options:
- (Only for medical problems that do not require immediate attention) Make an appointment with the Outpatients Department of a public hospital. For an appointment, select a hospital and call. Appointments may be booked for up to three months ahead depending on the medical specialty, thus this is really a solution for non-urgent medical problems. The examination costs about 3 Euro. If you are required to make more examinations and tests, you must follow the procedures set by your insurance coverage. If you have health insurance as an IHU University student, then you will be required to pay for the tests at the hospital. Keep all receipts and bring them to the School secretary in order to apply for a refund for your expenses.
- For general medical cases, you can visit the THERMI HEALTH CENTRE located close to IHU campus 24 hours a day. An Ear Nose and Throat specialist is on duty on Mondays 08:30 - 09:30, an orthopedic specialist and an opthalmologist (eyes) on Wednesdays 08:30 - 10:00 and a gynaecologist every weekday 08:30 -13:00.
- Visit a private doctor (without a contract with the Greek civil service insurance). If you opt for this you will not be able to receive any reimbursement for medical expenses incurred.
Useful telephone numbers
|Emergency telephone numbers:|
|Emergency Medical Aid:
|Poisons Centre (Athens):
|For appointments at Thessaloniki Hospitals:||1535|
|For information on Thessaloniki hospitals on duty:||